Friday, December 30, 2005

Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff


This book was introduced to me by someone who told me it was "the funniest book I've ever read."

As I started the book, the whole concept was hysterical. Jesus (called Joshua or Josh) in his adolescence, hanging with his best friend "Levi, who is called Biff" and trying to find meaning in his life.

There are very funny things which happen, but as the book progressed, it became not quite so funny and more...something else. I'm not sure how to express it. For all the possible cries of "blasphemy," Joshua becomes very human, very endearing, and it ends up being a more or less believable account of what might possibly have happened, especially toward the end of Joshua's life.

The actual story line takes Joshua and Biff to visit the three kings who visited the infant in the stable in Bethlehem. It becomes at the same time an adventure story and a spiritual study.

In the end, it was definitely not "the funniest book I ever read," but it was an entertaining read.

No comments: